Rebecca Elia's Blog

All about Feminine Health, Healing, and Greece

Monday, March 9, 2009

Calling All Fem Gyns!

I’m pleased to announce that the Feminine Gynecologists,
Fem Gyns--for short, are finally coming out!

Back in 1990, when I completed my Obstetrics and Gynecology training, I was all alone. If other Feminine Gynecologists existed, they weren't shouting about it. Ironically, embracing all that is feminine did not get us very far in the world of caring for females. We took birth control pills to stop our periods (Who could leave a ten-hour surgery to change their tampon?) We deprived ourselves of food, sleep, sex, making it to the bathroom. We never let go. Never gave up. Our relationships went into the trash, along with our souls. My fellow female residents who were most likely to succeed—and survive—were those with very caring, nurturing partners. This did not stop three of the nine women from becoming pregnant at the same time and, miraculously, carrying their babies to term. I heard that one resident had to finish rounding on the post-partum patients before the attending physician allowed her to proceed to labor and delivery to deliver her own baby…but that’s another story.

I was terrified to discover that at the end of a four-year program centered on caring for women, I had learned, instead, to hate all in myself and others that is feminine. It took traveling over six thousand miles to Greece to find my Feminine again.

That is why it makes “my heart sing” when I discover women like Dr. Lissa Rankin, an artist, writer, mother, Gynecologist, and “wild thing,” who is embracing her Feminine and helping other women do the same. See: http://owningpink.com and http://www.owningpink.blogspot.com

I would like to provide a forum for all of us recovering Fem Gyns to share our healing stories. So, I’m putting a call out to my Co-Fem Gyns and Fem Docs. It’s finally safe to come out! Please share your healing stories with us.

I am so glad that you are here. Welcome home!

E-mail your stories to: rebecca@rebeccaelia.com
Stories can be viewed at: www.rebeccaelia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment